Monday, October 6, 2014

Review: City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments # 6)

My Rating: ★★★☆☆

     City of Heavenly Fire, the final installment in this very overrated loved series, wasn't as good as City of Lost Souls, at least not in my experience. But, after a month, here I am. September 1st came with my decision to finally start reading The Mortal Instruments which, at that point, had already created huge hype around it.

     Twenty days later, here I am, having finished all six books. I expected much more from the final book, but I guess some things are just not meant to happen. I didn't like this as much as the previous book but at least it wasn't as bad as City of Fallen Angels. My problem with this book was that it was way too long and it felt too dragged at certain points. While it did have quite the action, I felt like it took forever until something actually happened.

     This must have been the book I spent most time reading in the series. I felt like it was never going to end. My biggest concern with City of Heavenly Fire was that there were like a lot of pages of build-up for something big that was going to happen and then a few pages where it actually happened. It was so frustrating! Now, all this, happened for a reason and that reason was the introduction of other characters. So, my question is, why did Cassandra Clare feel the need to introduce the character of Emma and all of her friends/family in the last book of her series? I felt like it was really pointless. I couldn't bring myself to care about this girl one bit. Of course, I still felt the same way about Maia, Jordan, Jocelyn, Luke, which is what I kept saying for the last three books in the series or the second trilogy.

     From my point of view, these characters kept dragging the story endlessly, and while I understand the presence of Jocelyn or Luke, seeing as how they were Clary's family and they were there from the beginning, I really didn't understand the point of introducing Emma in the story and giving her so many chapters in her point of view. However, I did like the story in this book. I think that I could have given it 4 stars instead of 3, had it been shorter and straight to the point. 

     When I first started reading these books, I thought for sure that my favorite couple would be Clary and Jace but it turns out that I actually loved Simon and Isabelle all this time. Clary and Jace's romance just didn't do it for me, their characters felt too childish and immature at times and I didn't care much for their relationship. But Simon and Izzy were amazing and I was furious at the end of the book, when Simon had to give up his happiness for the rest of them. Fortunately, it all worked out in the ending and he and Izzy got their happy ever after. I also really liked Alec and Magnus' relationship, I thought they were really cute.

     Having put all my thoughts into this review immediately after I finished reading City of Heavenly Fire, I can honestly say that I am glad that I 'm finally done with these books. While I did rate the previous book 5 stars, this series is definitely one of my least favorites. I tried really hard to love the books but I just couldn't see what was so amazing about them. I think that they were alright, but not extraordinary. I'm really not trying to be mean about the books or the author. I think her writing was amazing. I just didn't get hooked up with the story. I'm happy that I managed to finish The Mortal Instruments seeing as how I considered giving up at some point but I also don't think you're going to miss out too much if you skip this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment