Friday, February 13, 2015

MFB: Ruin

“Life isn’t fair, but living? Living is heaven. Living is a gift. Every gift is different — every path is different — for some reason this is ours, and the sooner we accept it, the sooner we can stop crying and start living.” 

     I don't even remember how I first came around this book but I know that it was a while ago and that I've kept postponing it forever. Worst decision ever. But, thankfully, I finally decided to pick this book up last month when I was going through a desperation phase thanks to my finals. The only good thing about finals is that they brought me here to this book.

     Ruin was the first book that I read this year (without taking into consideration Matched, which is actually the first book I started but haven't finished yet). And it was an amazing book to start the year with! I loved everything about it and it left me completely speechless. 


Here is the official description of the book:

"I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.
I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.
Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.
And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own."
     Ruin is a book about Kiersten, just your regular girl who sees herself starting a new year at a college where she only knows where roommate and Wes, possibly the most popular, hot guy at her college. Their first encounter is actually hilarious. Throughout the book, they get to know each other and well - you know where the rest goes.

     Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy pushes her away - wait, what? But, in all honesty, that's exactly what doesn't happen in this book. How amazing is that? However, Wes has a big secret that he keeps from Kiersten, and the faster he falls for her, the sooner his secret will ruin everything. Or so he thinks, which makes him constantly try to stay away from Kiersten. Except he can't (thankfully).

     This book is really something else. I really loved how, even though Wes had his dark secrets suffocating him, he didn't let that come in the way of his relationship with Kiersten, he didn't break up with her just "for her sake". Another thing that really surprised me about this book is that it jumps right in. There is no fooling around, no "let's-drag-this-on-forever", things just happen right away, one after another, and before you know it you have finished the book. The ending was predictable, but for such a sweet love story, I think it fits. Five awesome stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment