Friday, August 15, 2014

Review: Unravel Me (Shatter Me # 2)

My Rating: ★★★★☆

My first thought after having finished reading this book was: Boy, what a rush!I was really impressed with this book and I honestly don't know where to begin and where to finish my review. After I finished reading Shatter Me, I said that this book would be at the top of my to-read list. However, I somehow ended up reading other books meanwhile and this got put on hold. I ask myself now, Why? This book was so good!

Juliette is back. Shatter Me sort of left us hanging with an open ending, wondering what will happen next and how the upcoming war will be dealt with. Unravel Mecontinues the intriguing plot in what succeeds in being an interesting, action paced, exciting read. We're introduced to new surroundings and interesting new characters and we're being shown another side of the damaged world of Shatter Me. With old enemies and new dangers looming around the corner, Juliette begins a training process in order to better understand her power and to learn how to efficiently use it.

Things I liked about this book:

-Warner! Warner. Oh boy, how I liked him. I know how I said he was disgusting in the first book because he really, truly was. But, oh, how wrong was I! In this book, the writer shows us a whole other perspective. A completely different side of Warner. And I loved it! I loved every minute of it. I loved all the scenes with him and as I kept reading, I was praying for more and more of him. We learn that there's a reason why Warner is ruthless and the shocking part is that his life is so similar to Juliette. Maybe that's why she starts thinking different of him, too. He is so intense that when I was reading his scenes I almost got shivers. He is simply a boy, he is capable of emotion, he is human. And so gorgeous, so breathtakingly gorgeous.

-Kenji. Since the little twist about Kenji in the first book, I began to like him. In this book, I grew to like him even more. His character was an invaluable addition to this book, in my opinion. He is funny and he's the one you love being around but he's also down to earth and aware of his duties. We learn that Kenji is an important member at Omega Point, somewhat of Castle's right hand if you will. We also get a glimpse at his story in order to have a better understanding of the bond between him and Castle. Against all odds, he's the first one to offer to help Juliette, even though she's being somewhat of a pain in the - but more of this later. He trains with her, he sort of protects her and I simply loved his character. 

Things I didn't like about this book:

-Adam. I didn't really like him that much in the first book either, I thought he was kind of a boring character and I really didn't care too much about him. His relationship with Juliette I thought was the most interesting thing about him because I was curious to see where it was going. In this book, he grows even more annoying, at least to me. He learns that he, like everyone else at Omega Point, has a special power which threatens to tear him and Juliette apart. (Which I couldn't be happier with, because as of now, I'm on Warner's side. Yep, you read that right!) Now, from this point on, I really disliked what became of his character and instead of being intrigued by his new-found power, I became rather bored with him.

-Juliette. And I don't mean it in a bad way. I understand that she was scared of hurting people because of what happened in the past. I even understand the cliché "I want to be better than this, I will live in solitute to not harm anyone" blah blah. What really annoyed me was that she seemed so weak in this book. Like she couldn't do anything right and was more a burden than helpful in the important task of preparing for war. What annoyed me more was that she was so insecure, so afraid of being herself and always, always had to act different because it was just so damned important to her how the rest of the people perceived her. Always desperate to be accepted by people whocouldn't care less about her. This seems to change in the later part of the book and I hope it stays that way in the next one.

That being said, I'm extremely curious to read Unravel Me next. I'm curious to see what happens with Anderson, I'm curious about Warner & Juliette and I'm curious to see if the author has more plans of dramatically changing our view of some characters.Who knows, maybe Adam will finally become interesting. All in all, I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of this series and I pray that it won't disappoint me because I rated the first one in the series 3 stars, I'm rating this 4 stars and I really, really want to rate the final one 5 stars. I want it to surpass the previous two books and I'm hopeful that it will!

2 comments:

  1. This series is one of my all-time favorites! I really liked Ignite Me and I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too. I read Ignite Me as well, it was really good! I will post my review of it the following days.

    ReplyDelete