Friday, May 23, 2014

MFB: Brightest Kind of Darkness (Brightest Kind of Darkness # 1)

“Nothing makes you appreciate life more than when you wake up from a nightmare and realize it was just that. It's a good reality check.” 

     Brightest Kind of Darkness is the first volume in the Brightest Kind of Darkness series written by P.T.Michelle and one of my favorite books. It is a YA, fantasy, paranormal, supernatural novel. The book tells the story of sixteen year-old Nara Collins, your average girl. Only she's not average.

     I usually read science-fiction, dystopian novels but this book is very dear to me. I came across it while browsing on Goodreads and I have to admit that one of the main reasons I started reading it is the beautiful cover. I don't make a habit of judging a book by its covers but this one blew me away and I just had to read it. And I am glad that I did. 

Here is the official description of the book:
"Nara Collins is an average sixteen-year-old, with one exception: every night she dreams the events of the following day. Due to an incident in her past, Nara avoids using her special gift to change fate…until she dreams a future she can’t ignore.
After Nara prevents a bombing at Blue Ridge High, her ability to see the future starts to fade, while people at school are suddenly being injured at an unusually high rate.
Grappling with her diminishing powers and the need to prevent another disaster, Nara meets Ethan Harris, a mysterious loner who seems to understand her better than anyone. Ethan and Nara forge an irresistible connection, but as their relationship heats up, so do her questions about his dark past." 
     One of the main things that I liked about this book are the protagonists, Nara and Ethan. I thought that Nara was a very good protagonist and I loved her. Ethan was the much-needed mysterious presence of the book, at least for the most part. Their romance was really sweet and the fact that they form such an important bond sealed the deal for me. Nara and Ethan aren't just typical teenagers fallen in love. They are also very good friends who respect and trust each other and, most importantly, help each other. 

     I believe this is the first paranormal YA book that I have read and it really made me like the genre a lot because I loved it. Everything paranormal intrigues me and I often find myself doing research on the subject but I had never read a paranormal book before. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and I think it's a very underrated one. If you have the chance, I definitely recommend checking it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment