Monday, May 19, 2014

Review: Starters (Starters # 1)

My Rating: ★★☆☆☆

When I first bought this book a couple of months ago, I was really excited to read it. But along with it I had bought another book which I'd been meaning to read for a very long time, so I read that one first. This one was, therefore, put on hold for quite a while.
I finished reading it yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. If I were to be completely honest, I was extremely curious to read this book at first but now that I've finished it, I feel that it didn't reach my expectations. I don't know, maybe I was just expecting something else from it. I didn't hate the book, not at all, but I also didn't love it. 

Starters is another dystopian book and that's the main reason I wanted to read it. I have to admit, it was another kind of dystopia book, different from those I have read so far, and that's one of the things I liked about it. As I started reading it, I was curious to see where things were going. I liked most of the book because I thought it had an interesting idea, that was a bit different from all the other books of the kind. I really enjoyed the first part of the book.

What I didn't like was the second half, I guess. I thought it was odd that all of a sudden, just because a sixteen year old girl told them so, all the Enders decided that what they were doing, what they have been doing for so long was wrong. Seriously? The whole book makes us believe that the Enders are ignorant, immoral jerks who use teenagers so that they can live another life full of excitement. They are mean, they are selfish and they only care about themselves. So when, in the ending, all the Enders suddenly decide that it's wrong to act like that, to use Starters and Prime Destinations for their own selfish reasons, I thought it got real cheesy. Sure, some of their grandchildren were missing and all, but I thought it was just too cliché. Maybe other people liked it, but that just didn't do it for me. Plus, when I read the part where Callie has to flee the party where she was invited by Blake and she loses one of her heels, which she later notices Blake holding in his hands I just couldn't help but roll my eyes. I thought it couldn't get cheesier than that. 

Another thing I really disliked about this book was the revelation about Blake at the end of the book. I mean, sure, everyone loves a good twist and this was the mother of all twists BUT! Making us believe that Blake was this nice, cool guy who seemed to like Callie despite her having lied to him and despite her being a poor girl of the streets to just have it all turn out as a sick illusion? I don't know about you, but I enjoyed every little scene between Callie and Blake and I thought they had something genuine going on. I was horrified to learn that the Blake I grew to like so much was actually The Old Man. I mean really? An old man with a sixteen year old girl? They actually kissed, for the love of God! I really didn't see this one coming until the very end.

Anyway, what I liked about this book was that I felt it was different from other dystopian books, with a fresh subject and an interesting plot. Otherwise, I honestly wasn't too impressed with this book and I'm sad to say that because I was really looking forward to reading this and enjoying it. I might check out the next book simply because I liked the twist at the end and I'm a bit curious to see what happens next. But for now, the sequel isn't at the top of my to-read list. The best I can rate this book is two stars because it literally was ok and nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment