Friday, July 25, 2014

MFB: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful # 1)

“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t something about you at all. It was just you.” 

     Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire is one of the first YA romances I have read and I must say that I loved it. It had such a big impact on me because it was a different book, in a good way. The love story was intense and beautiful and the characters felt genuine to me. I really liked the protagonist, Abby, and I loved experiencing the story from her point of view. After reading Beautiful Disaster I found out that the author wrote another book that tells the story from Travis' point of view and I was curious to read that one as well. It was an interesting journey, reading the same story again but from a male perspective because it was almost fascinating to get inside Travis' mind.

Here is the official description of the book:

"INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.
Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."
     I absolutely loved Abby Abernathy. She was a great protagonist and what I liked most about her was the fact that she didn't fall head over heels for Travis from the first moment. Unlike all the other girls who were desperate just to get his attention, Abby was actually not interested in Travis in the beginning. Although he tried his best to get her to see him, she just wasn't impressed by him like every other girl. I suppose that's one of the main reasons Travis liked her so much.

     Travis Maddox was a very interesting character, to say the least. At times, I thought he was a bit crazy and I feared for his sanity or for Abby's safety, but he (almost) always tries to keep her safe, even though sometimes he unwillingly puts her in danger. Even so, Travis always protected Abby and tried to keep her out of harm's way. Although at times I felt like he didn't deserve her, I was glad to see that they remained together because I felt like Abby was his clarity.

     Sometimes, I felt like Travis and Abby's relationship was somewhat of a disaster - see what I did there? Their love becomes obsessive and codependent and, at times, it feels disturbing that Travis was so obsessed with Abby, practically becoming her stalker, and that Abby would put up with all of Travis' mood swings. There are certain points in this book where you stop and ask yourself whether this is a healthy relationship. The answer is no, their relationship is anything but healthy. However, two people madly in love will always find their way back to each other, even after being apart for a while. This was also the case of Travis & Abby. 

      Beautiful Disaster is a very nice romance novel that will leave us all with an important lesson - the importance of having someone who will always be there for you, no matter how much you've hurt them your even yourself. Having someone you can always rely on is extremely rare these days, so we can call Travis and Abby really lucky. I recommend this book to anyone who's looking for an intense romance book.

No comments:

Post a Comment