Friday, July 18, 2014

MFB: The Fault in Our Stars

“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”

     I absolutely loved this book. I loved every little bit of it. I think it's safe to say that this is one of the BEST books I have ever read. It is definitely the best book I read this year. It doesn't have any supernatural elements, it is downright realistic and I think that makes it have such a great impact. We're talking about real problems, diseases that exist and that people confront with.
The Fault in Our Stars is an emotional rollercoaster. Arm yourself with a couple boxes of tissues if you venture into reading it. If you haven't read this book yet, I strongly recommend you do it now.
This book has everything. It has comedy, it has drama, it has romance, friendship and family. It made me laugh and it made me cry. It made me smile and it made me sob. 


Here is the official description of the book:

"Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."
     Hazel Grace Lancaster is a great main character. She is a sixteen year old teenager who has been diagnosed with stage 4 Thyroid cancer. What I really loved about her is how down to earth she was. She knew exactly what her illness meant and she knew that she was going to die, eventually. She was not in denial, looking for hope of survival everywhere, unlike other characters in books or movies who suffer from whatever illness. However, despite all this, she never wanted to be a burden. She wanted her parents to be happy and she always put their wellbeing ahead of her own needs. 

     Augustus Waters is, as well, an amazing male lead. He is gorgeous, he is funny and he is just a great presence to be around. He starts falling for Hazel when they meet at Cancer Support Group. After Hazel states her opinion about Augustus' fear of oblivion, he says "Aren't you something else." I fell in love with him with that very line. He was diagnosed with cancer as well, but after having his leg amputated, his cancer retreats. He and Hazel form an immediate bond, starting off as close friends and slowly falling in love with each other.

     I honestly don't know what else to write about this book because it literally left me speechless. What else can I say, rather than that this book broke my heart and that I loved it and hated it at the same time? I think that this is a great book that teaches us about the importance of life, of that which we have. For people who are not struggling with such serious problems life loses its meaning in this desperate race of ours to acquire material happiness. For Hazel and Augustus, happiness means falling in love with each other and sadness means having your heart broken because of the tragic doom of death. 

      The ending was another emotional bit for me and I loved how it all ended, reminding me a bit of An Imperial Affliction, Hazel's favorite book. We do not get to know what happens with the characters after the book ends, we simply get to think about it. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a sweet, heartbreaking love story about two amazing people who taught me how to better appreciate life. 

     The Fault in Our Stars is now also a movie production, starring Shailene Woodley as Hazel Grace Lancaster and Ansel Elgort as Augustus Waters. In theatres now!

No comments:

Post a Comment