Monday, July 28, 2014

Review: Looking for Alaska

My Rating: ★★★★★

Looking for Alaska is the second book of John Green's that I read and absolutely loved. After reading The Fault in Our Stars, I was fascinated by John Green's writing and decided that I definitely have to check out his other books as well. It's safe to say that that was a very wise decision.

Looking for Alaska is a story about enigmatic girl Alaska Young. The protagonist of the novel, Miles Halter, tells the story of his experience at Culver Creek Boarding School, where he meets his new friends, Chip "The Colonel", Takumi, Lara and the mysterious Alaska. Together, they go through usual high school problems, such as finding yourself or life's meaning, smoking and drinking illegally and planning possibly the funniest pranks Culver Creek has heard of. 

Although Miles isn't the popular type, or even the type that has had a lot of friends in school, he quickly becomes wrapped in his new friends' world, being drawn to Alaska with an incredible force. Alaska is intelligent, funny and attractive and Miles falls for her hard. The only thing standing in his way is Alaska's boyfriend, Jake. Even so, Miles continues to pursuit Alaska, even if he knows they won't be more than friends.

With Alaska's mood swings, Miles desperation continues to grow. Does he love this unpredictable girl or not? While they continue to go as friends, Miles' questions shatter his peace and start to affect the others as well. But one night, one sudden event will change everything around Miles and The Colonel. The world Miles thought he knew gets taken away from him in an instant. Nothing will ever be the same. 

As it was to be expected with one of John Green's books,Looking for Alaska left me with a bitter taste. It also possibly left me heartbroken. At times it was very funny while other times it was truly sad. The worst kind of sadness you can possibly feel is the one where something hurts you so much and still you can't cry and let it all out. Instead you keep it in and it eats at your soul. My experience with Looking for Alaska was very similar to this worst kind of sadness.

However, I loved this book. I thought it was amazing, heartbreaking, funny and sad. I loved Alaska Young and I loved The Colonel. I didn't think that there would be the problem of life and death in this book but I was obviously wrong, as it turns out this is one of John Green's main themes. I did like the whole meaning-of-life topic and even the one of finding-your-true-self and I appreciated the realistic outcome of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment