Friday, December 19, 2014

MFB: We Were Liars

“What if we could stop being different colors, different backgrounds, and just be in love?” 

     We Were Liars was literally spectacular. I felt quite a bit overwhelmed while reading it and especially after having finished it. This was no ordinary book, that is for sure. From the beginning, it sort of leaves you hanging and you're probably wondering "what the heck am I reading" most of the times. But, still, this book managed to make me love it. I must admit, when I started it, I wasn't expecting it to be this good and I mostly wanted to read it because it was one of the monthly reads in one of the groups I'm part of.

     However, when I started reading it, things changed. One of the things that I liked most about this book was the way it was written. At times, it can be a bit confusing but it still felt genuine most of the time. The story switches from present to past time and again, but it isn't that difficult to keep up with the pace.

Here is the official description of the book:

"A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.
Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE."

     Cadence, the main character in this book, is a seventeen year old girl who suffered head trauma after an accident and she doesn't quite remember what happened to her. At times, she gets bits of her memories back but not enough to put the pieces together and uncover the truth. She is the narrator, and through her, the author puts together several stories retelling her past, mostly the summers she spent with her three friends, The Liars.

     There really isn't much that I can say about this book without digging deep to the truth of the story, which you only find out at the end. And, oh, what an ending! I literally got goosebumps when I read those last chapters. I did NOT expect that at all. Really, I think the twist in the end is what makes this book because honestly, I didn't get very attached to the characters. But still, I really liked this book and one of the things I liked most was how realistic it felt, like we all know that what happens in the book could actually happen to anyone out there. I give it five stars and hereby name it one of my favorite books!

No comments:

Post a Comment