Monday, December 1, 2014

Review: Defiance (Defiance # 1)

My Rating: ★★★★☆

     A long time ago, I saw this book on a list here on Goodreads and I really liked the cover, but I forgot its title. Ever since, I've been looking for it and when I finally found it again, I was very happy and wanted to read it right away. So, when I first started reading it, I was expecting something entirely different. I usually prefer science-fiction over fantasy, and this book was more fantasy than science-fiction. Still, I was impressed with it and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would when I realized it was a fantasy book.

     Defiance is a fantastic dystopia, in which the society is under the control of a tyrant with absolute power. The main characters are Rachel, an eighteen year old girl whose father has gone missing, and Logan, one of Rachel's father's most trusted persons and Rachel's old crush. 

     When Jared, Rachel's father, doesn't return from his assignment, he is declared dead. But deep down, Rachel believes that her father is still alive and would do just about anything to prove it. Except that the Commander won't allow her to do so. When Rachel tries to escape, things become more complicated. Logan is assigned her protector, instead of Oliver, the second thing Rachel has to a father. Rachel is outraged, because she still resents Logan for his rejection when she confessed her feelings for him, two years earlier.

     The two of them have an unsteady relationship but will learn to settle their differences aside in order to work towards the same goal. Rachel realizes that she needs Logan and that he is the closest thing he has to a family, now that her father is gone. Logan realizes that he wants to be close to Rachel and is confused when he feels attracted to her, but quickly dismisses his feelings for her.

     When Rachel and Logan strike a deal with the Commander to venture into the Wasteland in search for the package that Jared failed to retrieve, Rachel believes she can finally go in search for her father and escape the Commander's cruelty. But the Commander has different plans and when he throws Logan into his dungeon, Rachel is forced to start her journey with Melkin, one of the Commander's most trusted men. 

     Rachel leaves on a journey of a lifetime, feeling confident that she will find her father alive and also being very sure of herself - what the Commander doesn't know is that Rachel has been trained by her father and knows how to fight, defend herself and survive in the Wasteland. Thus begins an excited story about finding yourself and escaping cruelty, all while trying to set things right.

     I really liked Defiance, and the only reason I gave it 4 stars is because I believe that the next two books will be greater than this one. I can hardly wait to finish this series and I really, really hope that my expectations will be met, because this book became very dear to me and I don't want to be disappointed by it.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished the series and it was pretty good! I hope you like the rest of the series!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really enjoyed this series! I finished all 3 books, I just have to review the remaining two now. Thank you! :)

      Delete