Monday, December 15, 2014

Review: Deliverance (Defiance # 3)

My Rating: ★★★☆☆

     Deliverance is the final book in the Defiance trilogy. While I really enjoyed this series, the last book wasn't quite as good as the previous two, at least in my experience. It took me quite a while to finish reading it because I felt like the story kept dragging on at certain points instead of just developing further.

     What I disliked most about this book was Rachel. I get that she was weakened and that she felt awful most of the times, but in every few chapters she would pass out or come too close to giving up. I feel like the only way she got through was with the hope that either Logan or Quinn would come for her. My feelings were that she wasn't the same, strong character that we got in the beginning and we were instead left with a shadow of what used to be Rachel.

     I didn't care much for the characters in this book. Logan and Rachel felt plain boring and dull, there wasn't as much of Willow and Quinn as I would have liked, and the only one keeping things interesting was Ian. Which was why I was sort of annoyed and disappointed that, in the ending, Ian chose the "classic" exit: redeem yourself and tragically sacrifice yourself so that the others remember you as a hero and not for all the atrocities that you've committed. 

     What I also disliked about this book is the fact that Logan kept going on about how all that mattered to him was to save and get Rachel back, but it didn't seem to me like he was busting himself trying to rescue her. In fact, they only found each other towards the ending of the book, and that was also because Rachel managed to escape and try to make a run for it through the Wasteland, hoping that she will find Logan and the rest of their small team.

     One last thing that I'll complain about in this review is that there was a big lack of action AND romantic scenes. Because the author decided to continue the story with the two lead characters separated, the lack of romance was guaranteed from page one. The only thing that saved the story progress was the dual POV, which, granted, was there from the first book. 

     Overall, I was a bit disappointed with how this series was wrapped up. This book was not at all interesting and it felt completely boring and dragged on most of the time, but I rated it three stars because it wasn't, in all honesty, horrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment