Monday, September 15, 2014

Review: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments # 2)

My Rating: ★★★☆☆

     City of Ashes continues Clary Fray's story after the recent events that led to the disappearance of her mother and the discovery (later) of her self induced coma. Upon having fallen for each other and after finding out that they are brother and sister, Clary and Jace's relationship starts to worsen. 

     So, like the previous book, this one wasn't that good either. I've heard plenty of people saying that the story got significantly better in this book as opposed to the first one, but that wasn't the case for me. In the beginning, it was still very, very slow paced and I almost had to force myself to keep reading it. Eventually, it got better but not much. 

     One of the main problems I have with this series and that has resurfaced during City of Ashes is that nobody ever seems to want to help Clary train as a Shadowhunter, which she just so happens to be, and then they all get angry and complain when she gets attacked and they have to save her. Especially Jace. I mean, come on, you don't want her to be part of this world but she automatically becomes part of it, and then you get angry when she can't defend herself without training that you refuse her? 

     Also, I didn't really like Jace in this book. I understand that he was very frustrated to have finally fallen in love with a girl only to discover that she was actually his sister. But that doesn't mean that you have to be an asshole about it. Clary was having a tough time about it as well, but she didn't take it out on him like that. Jace became annoying and whiny in this book and that was very unlike him.

     On the other hand, I didn't really like the whole Clary and Simon thing. Sure, it's the biggest cliche of all times, the two bestfriends finally falling in love with each other and starting a relationship. But I don't feel like that was the case in this book. Their relationship didn't feel genuine at all to me and I thought that Clary was almost forcing herself to love Simon. I'm glad that they decided to remain friends in the end because their friendship is one of the greatest things about this series.

     However, there were things I did like about this book. For instance, Magnus Bane is quickly becoming on of my favorite characters in the series. He's really funny and a big help to the Shadowhunters at most times. I also liked the addition of the Inquisitor, not because she was nice, which she obviously wasn't, but because it made things a bit more interesting. Her personal vendetta sure did screw up a couple of things but at least it made the plot intriguing. Also, I liked Jace's "sacrifice" when Simon had to turn and I definitely liked the final battle with Clary, Jace and Simon facing Valentine.

     City of Ashes was probably as exciting asCity of Bones and I didn't love this one either. I guess it's just not meant to be. However, I want to finish this series and so I will keep reading the sequels and hopefully, they will get better.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the exact same thing! I especially didn't like how no one really wanted to train Clary and then they wrapped her in bubble wrap and were so angry when she went out on her own! Nice review! I thought the next one was slightly better so hang in there!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete