Monday, September 22, 2014

Review: City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments # 3)

My Rating: ★★★★☆

     City of Glass, the third book in The Mortal Instruments series, originally meant to be the end of the series, finally got better than the previous books. There, I said it. I finally found a better book in the series and I can finally write a more positive review. I guess that it was worth the wait.

     One of the first things that I liked about this book was Clary and Jace. Obviously. You can definitely say that their relationship in this book was very intriguing, and some say it was even disturbing at points. But since I already knew that they weren't actually related - which is finally revealed at the end of this book, I actually enjoyed all those passionate scenes between them. Their relationship was pretty rocky in this book as well, and Jace was his usual jerk self, while Clary didn't know anything about anything, as usual. But those nice, intimate moments between them were worth it. And the ending finally paid off!

     Another thing I would like to note is that Alec became significantly better since the second book and it only got better in this book as well. He and Magnus were really funny and adorable at times, and I think that his different attitude towards Clary made me like Alec more. Izzy was her usual kickass self, and I loved her in this book as well. The new character, Sebastian, wasn't much of a surprise for me, unfortunately, because I already knew about him (I read some spoilers a while ago, without intending to). However, I was surprised when I found out that he wasn't actually Sebastian Verlac and was only posing as him. I thought that he had taken a false identity and went by that name now, but it turns out that Sebastian was a real person after all. His behavior seemed fishy to me from the very beginning. 

     Clary was a bit annoying in this book. She just couldn't keep her mouth shut about anything. After Jace told her that she was a disaster for him and the other Shadowhunters, I understand that she was hurt and everything but did that really mean that she had to run to the first person to come to her help? Clary was foolish enough to spill secrets to Sebastian, the kind of things that you wouldn't just tell anyone you just met. I also hate how she is so weak and everything. I mean sure, she has a great gift with runes but her lack of training drove me crazy, even in her final face off with Valentine. 

     But I can finally say that I liked this book! It was definitely better than the first two, more intriguing and more interesting. There was a lot of action, many interesting moments between the characters and decent conflicts that kept my interest during the whole book. I also liked the return of Jocelyn and her relationship with Luke. But I think what I liked most about this book is the reveal about Clary and Jace which all of us were expecting and the awesome ending. The only reason I didn't rate this book five stars is because I somehow expect it to get better in the next installment. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment