Monday, September 1, 2014

Review: Four: A Divergent Story Collection

My Rating: ★★★★☆

     Veronica Roth's latest work is a companion novel to her already well known trilogy, Divergent. and it's called Four: A Divergent Collection. Naturally, the book contains four short stories about Four. As a hardcore Divergent fan, you can imagine my joy when I found out about this book. Seeing as how much I loved Four's character (except maybe in Allegiant), I was extremely excited to read this and learn more about the mysterious past of Tobias. 

     The book contains four short stories: The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son and The Traitor. All of these stories describe Tobias' life from the moment he has to choose his new faction to shortly after he meets Tris, two years later, giving the reader a peek into the depths of Four's mysterious character.

     I liked this book very much, and I enjoyed every single one of the stories. They showed us a different perspective on Four, in different positions in his life. We got to see his troubled relationship with his father, Marcus Eaton, his not-so-difficult transition from Abnegation to Dauntless. We also got to see where his rivalry with Eric started and why it started and we got to see how his presumed dead mother, Evelyn, found him again. 

     What I didn't like about the book is that most of the stories are stories from before he met Tris, which means that we only get a little bit of Tris and Four in this book. I understand that the book's main purpose is for the reader to have a deeper look into Four's past and get to know who he really is and how he came to be this way, but I think that us huge fans of Tris and Four would have loved for more of the two of them in this book, seeing as how Allegiant ended and how we all still need closure from this amazing story. However, I did appreciate the last story, the one in which Four has met Tris and we get to see a bit of interaction between them, for exactly this reason. I thought it was nice to see Four's reactions to Tris and how he came to like her.

     Overall, I found Four: A Divergent Story Collection to be a very satisfying read, especially after the bittersweet taste I was left with after finishing Allegiant. Four's stories seemed to put my mind at ease for a bit, all the while taking me from the tragic conclusion of the trilogy to the very beginning of it. We finally got to see the depths of Four's character, as shocking or disturbing as some of them might have been, and we got to see how this amazing character that we all loved came to life. I recommend this book to fans of the Divergent trilogy and not only, because if you've loved Divergent, then surely you will love this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment